In Spurscast Episode #664, host Paul Garcia discusses the Spurs offseason roster in the breaks down the team’s 2022 schedule.
What Does the Spurs Offseason Roster Look Like Right Now?
San Antonio currently has 18 players on the roster once Alize Johnson signs his non-guaranteed deal. The Spurs signed Gorgui Dieng to a fully guaranteed minimum deal and they also recently signed Jordan Hall to their open two-way roster spot.
The team can still add up to two more players to the roster before training camp and the preseason. Before the regular season begins on October 19, however, the team will have to waive at least one player.
There has also been some changes on Head Coach Gregg Popovich’s bench, with assistant coach Chip Engelland moving to the Oklahoma City Thunder and Brett Brown returning as an assistant coach.
Regarding the Spurs’ cap space, the team can still open anywhere from $23 million to $35 million for this coming season. This is something to watch in the event they become a third team in a trade where a veteran player’s contract needs to be moved for future draft picks or young players.
2022 Spurs Schedule Breakdown
In the episode, here are some of the highlights from the schedule that are discussed:
- Preseason takes place from October 2 to October 13.
- The regular season begins October 19 and ends April 9.
- First 15 games may show the type of team the Spurs will have this season.
- Early 5-game road trip in mid-November.
- 9-game rodeo road trip.
- Return dates for Dejounte Murray, Lonnie Walker IV, and Derrick White.
- Projected to have the most difficult schedule in the NBA this season.