With tonight’s game just a few hours away, I talked to our old friend Greg Esposito of ArizonaSports.com to get his views on tonight’s game, which is the last game of the regular season.
1. Since the Suns are out of playoff contention, do they have anything to play for?
The short answer is no. The long answer is no they don’t have anything to play for other than maybe personal pride and a chance to beat the Spurs. With the playoffs and even a .500 record out the window this team is really just playing out the string. Although Channing Frye did have a career high in points Monday night against the Timberwolves. I guess that’s something.
2. Going from the team that swept the Spurs out of the second round last season to being out of the playoffs this season, do you chalk that up to the loss of Amar’e or is something else going on in Phoenix.
It has to do with the loss of Amar’e Stoudemire coupled with some bad offseason moves that completely disrupted the rotation. When they lost Amar’e they panicked and spent the money on guys like Josh Childress and Hakim Warrick. Not to mention they traded for the corpse of Hedo Turkoglu. Overall the chemistry was never there like it was last year. When you couple that with Nash’s injuries in the second half of the season they had about as good of a chance at success as Kim Kardashian did at a successful singing career.
3. What have your thoughts been on some of the newer additions like Aaron Brooks?
All of the new additions were disappointments with the exception of Marcin Gortat. I’m willing to guess Aaron Brooks won’t be back next year and that Hakim Warrick and Josh Childress will once again be buried on the bench. Gortat is the one bright spot of this season and should solidify the center position for years to come.
4. If both teams play starters, what would your key matchup be, Parker-Nash, Ginobili-Carter or another matchup.
Duncan vs. Channing Frye. It sounds odd but Frye can make Timmy work on the defensive end and tire him out. That and it’s really the only matchup that excites me outside of if Gortat and Duncan meet up in the post a few times.
5. What is your prediction for the game?
My prediction? A lot like last week. Spurs domination. The Suns don’t have the motivation or the horses to keep up in this game. You guys are the better team … yet again (Shakes fist and screams at the sky).
Thanks again to Greg for taking the time out to answer my questions.