AUSTIN – After several days off, the Austin Spurs failed to shake off some rust against the Texas Legends, falling to their rival by a final score of 111-102.
Here’s a quarter by quarter recap:
- Legends center Jonathan Motley absolutely devoured the Spurs frontcourt in the first quarter, scoring 10 of his 28 points in the quarter.
- Olivier Hanlan’s return seemed to make Nick Johnson a bit uncomfortable in the early going, as Johnson went 0-for-3 to start the game in a diminished role.
- Both teams shot less than 35 percent in the second quarter, but the Legends maintained their lead throughout the first half.
- Motley continued to dominate inside with seven points, while teammate Brandon Ashley had five points and six rebounds.
- If you need an explanation on how Texas was able to be so dominant versus Austin in the paint: Matt Costello missed his second straight game. He was listed as “Did Not Play – Coaches Decision” but we speculate he’s suffering from an undisclosed injury.
HALFTIME – TEX: 52, AUS: 44
- Texas pushed their lead to as much as 15 points before the end of the quarter thanks in part to the Legends shooting a staggering 67 percent for the frame.
- Every time the Spurs got the lead down to single-digits, the Legends went on a run.
- Austin scored 29 points to Texas’ 26, making the fourth quarter the only quarter where the Spurs outscored the Legends.
- Jaron Blossomgame and Darrun Hilliard combined for 20 points in the fourth quarter. It was the only quarter of the game where any single player for Austin scored in double figures.
Austin Spurs (8-4) vs. Salt Lake City Stars (1-10)
H-E-B Center at Cedar Park – Cedar Park, TX
Saturday, Dec. 2 – 7:00 PM CST
NBA G League Facebook Live