• Last night the Los Angeles Lakers eight game winning streak was ended by the Miami Heat. The
Funny, too, because before the game Phi Jackson was talking about the style of basketball played by the Spurs and Celtics and how much he enjoys it. He said he does not like the brand of basketball played by Miami. (latimes.com)
• Gary Neal might not have been the player he is today for the San Antonio Spurs and he owes that to one particular Spur – rookie James Anderson:
Neal isn’t sure what would have happened if Anderson had remained healthy. “I could be sitting on the end of the bench,” he said. (Express News Buck Harvey)
• ESPN’s Chris Broussard has yet to see the Spurs as a real threat to the Lakers despite the Spurs holding a 2-1 series lead and winning a game in Los Angeles:
“I’m not saying I’ve got the Lakers as a heavy favorite, but they are my favorite,” Broussard said. “Then comes Dallas and San Antonio.” (Express News Tim Griffin)
• RedsArmy.com continues to spy on the Spurs as the playoffs inch closer.
• What if the San Antonio Spurs were the Sacramento Kings today? They might be the team on the relocation seat had a deal happened years ago:
Unable to gain entry into the NBA via the Spurs in 1996, the Maloofs struck a deal in Sacramento roughly three years later, acquiring controlling interest in the Kings, according to the league. (bizjournals.com)
• The Spurs are close to breaking season-ticket sales due in large part to their success:
The San Antonio Spurs are on pace to surpass their season-ticket sales goal for the 2011-2012 campaign, in large part because of the team’s on-court performance this season and despite concerns about when ongoing collective bargaining agreement talks between owners and players will conclude. (bizjournals.com)
Look for the Spurs to win 67 games this season and secure home-court advantage throughout the postseason. With their coaching, Hall-of-Fame roster and deep bench, they are my pick to win it all this season, beating the Lakers in the West finals and the Boston Celtics in the NBA finals.
Hit the jump to read about how to win free tickets to an upcoming Spurs game, a huge Austin Toros game tomorrow, Popovich pitching a wine package, a new starting center for the Spurs, and more.
• Don’t forget to check out the Spurs’ D-League affiliate Austin Toros taking on the Texas Legends tomorrow.
• MLB’s San Diego Padre’s GM Jed Hoyer thinks Spurs’ GM R.C. Buford is the best in sports. (gaslampball.com)
• Antonio McDyess is the new starting center for the remainder of the season in a move that clearly shows the Spurs are ready to focus on defense.
• Want to win free tickets to a San Antonio Spurs game this month? Of course you do!
Here is how you can enter for a chance to score some free tickets to the upcoming Spurs-Portland Trail Blazers game on March 28 at the AT&T Center:
1. Follow @TiqFeed_Texas on Twitter.
2. Once you’ve followed, send out a tweet that says “Follow @TiqFeed_Texas” and include your favorite liveTexas sports moment, followed by the hashtag #LoneStarTiqs for chance to win free Spurs tickets.
3. One person who tweets that out will win a free pair of tickets to the March 28 Spurs-Trail Blazers game.
It’s that simple.