NEW YORK – In a game that did not have Matt Costello or Derrick White, the Austin Spurs play was not quite enough as Xavier Rathan-Mayes and Luke Kornet combined to go for 41 points and 13 rebounds in a tough three point victory for the Westchester Knicks.
Livio Jean-Charles, Jaron Blossomgame, and Darrun Hilliard tallied 55 points and 26 rebounds altogether in the loss for Austin.
- How to Watch: Facebook Live – Austin Spurs Fan Page
- Score: Austin Spurs 92, Westchester Knicks 95
- Records: Spurs (14-10) | Knicks (18-9)
- Date: Sunday, January 7 | 4:00 p.m. tip-off CST
- Location: Westchester County Center | New York, NY
- Attendance: 1,825
- Officials: Tyler Ricks, Phenizee Ransom, Dannica Mosher
- Get Social: Twitter – @spursonsixth| Facebook – Spurs on Sixth
Enjoying a nice seven point lead against the Knicks in Westchester after one sounds slightly appealing. However, a smooth 8-0 run by Westchester midway through the second quarter gave the Knicks a two point edge.
Taking a two point lead into the half, Westchester held Austin to just 16 third quarter points to take command of this game.
Trailing by three with under 10 seconds to go, a desperate attempt by Hilliard would get rejected by big man Isaiah Hicks. After an offensive rebound by Austin, a failed 3-pointer by Olivier Hanlan resulted in a three point victory for Westchester.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Austin shot 45 percent (36-for-80) from the floor, while the Knicks were a little less efficient at 38-of-88 (43 percent) from the floor.
- The Spurs went 7-for-20 (35 percent) from beyond the arc in the three point loss and shot a nice 13-for-15 (87 percent) from the charity stripe. The Knicks, meanwhile, were 12-for-23 (43 percent) from downtown and went 7-for-16 (44 percent) from the free throw line.
- Despite recorded fewer assists than Westchester (20-16), Austin tallied seven more rebounds than the Knicks recorded (45-38).
- Westchester registered 14 steals and recorded four blocked shots while also committing just nine turnovers, while Austin finished with 16 steals, five blocked shots, and committed a whopping 17 turnovers as a team.
- Jean Charles led the way with 19 points, including perfect 3-for-3 at the charity stripe. He also recorded 11 rebounds.
- Hanlan added seven made field goals and 14 points; Johnson tallied 10 points and a game-high three steals.
- Rathan-Mayes tallied a game-high 22 points and seven rebounds; Kornet added 19 points on 50 percent shooting (8-of-16).
- Michigan product, Trey Burke, went for 14 points, five assists and two steals.
- With the win, the Knicks maintain a two game win streak and move to an even .500 inside Westchester County Center (7-7). In the loss, Austin falls to 6-4 in its last 10 games. They’re also 6-4 on the road this far.
The Spurs head back to Canada for the second time since New Year’s Eve for an unusual meeting with the Bulls as part of the 2018 G League Showcase. Austin takes on the Windy City Bulls inside the Hershey Centre on Wednesday, January 10 with a 1:30 CST scheduled tip.