The San Antonio Spurs just swept their first back-to-back-to-back set of game and are about to start a back-to-back set of games beginning tonight in Phoenix to face the Suns.
The last time these two teams tangled in January, the Spurs dropped the Suns 102-91 in San Antonio. Cold-shooting and horrible defense doomed the Suns in their last game versus the Spurs. Phoenix trailed as much as 19 points and allowed San Antonio to shoot 56.3% in the fourth quarter. Tim Duncan led the way for the Spurs with 24 points and 11 rebounds while Suns’ Marcin Gortat posted 24 points and 15 rebounds.
For a complete preview of tonight’s contest, check out Project Spurs’ Paul Garcia’s breakdown but here are five things to watch for in tonight’s matchup.
- Be mindful of Frye and Dudley. Phoenix is 16-7 this season when Channing Frye and Jared Dudley score in double figures in the same game.
- Don’t let the Suns pour in the points. The Suns are 12-4 this season when they score 100 points or more.
- These aren’t your Suns teams of the past. They actually pay defense now. Phoenix is allowing 45.1% shooting this season, the 10th-lowest in Suns history.
- Spurs need to take the lead at the end of the third quarter. The Suns are 2-7 at home when they trail at the end of the third period.
- Keep the Suns from getting to the charity stripe. The Suns are 10-4 at home when they attempt more free throws than their opponent.
Team comparison. Here is how the Spurs and Suns fared against one another in their previous meeting (via nba.com).