The San Antonio Spurs (29-13) will face their in-state rival Dallas Mavericks (25-20) tonight in Dallas. The Spurs and Mavs have split their two previous meetings this season.
The last time these two teams faced off was a thrilling game where the Mavs beat the Spurs 101-100 in overtime where the Spurs’ second unit brought back the team to almost pull out the win for San Antonio.
Tonight’s game could possibly be the debut for newly acquired Stephen Jackson. However, Mavs’ Shawn Marion is a gametime decision with a sore left knee. Manu Ginobili, who sat out last night’s win over the Oklahoma City Thunder, will be back in action. Dallas is also 4-0 at home this month.
Here are five things to watch for in tonight’s Spurs-Mavs contest.
- Jason Terry is lighting it up against the Spurs this season. Terry is averaging a team-high 23 points, 3 assists, and 1.5 steals against San Antonio this season.
- However, Dirk isn’t playing well against San Antonio. Dirk Nowitzki is averaging 8 points, 9.5 rebounds, and 1 steal versus the Spurs this season.
- Let’s hope the Spurs contain Dirk. Dallas is 6-2 when Nowitzki scores 20 points in a half.
- Keep the Mavs under 100. Dallas is 8-0 in Dallas when scoring 100 points or more.
- Don’t let the Mavs get hot tonight Spurs. Dallas is 14-0 at home when shooting better than visiting teams.
Matchup to watch: Tony Parker vs. Jason Kidd. Here is how the two guards have fared (via nba.com) against one another this season.