• Express News’ Tim Griffin shares his notes from the San Antonio Spurs loss to the Portland Trail Blazers last night:
There are low points. And then, there are games like the Spurs lost on Friday night against old nemesis Portland. The Spurs saw a late 10-point lead melt away in a 98-96 defeat to the Trail Blazers that continues their recent misery at the Rose Garden. They have lost six straight games there.
• With the Spurs dealing with an injury to Tim Duncan, former Spurs player, now head coach of the New Jersey Nets, Avery Johnson is dealing with the loss of Quinton Ross and recalls how an injury could lead to a good player like Tim Duncan:
“It’s something you got to deal with,’’ Johnson said. “This is the most injured team I have both as a player and a coach. It’s the second time I’ve been in this situation. The last time I was here good things happened. Tim Duncan was waiting in the wings (to be drafted by the San Antonio Spurs). It may not be a Tim Duncan this year waiting in the wings, in terms of the draft, but something good could be on the other side for us. That’s what I keep my mind on.’’ (nj.com)
• The Elm talked about why Duncan stayed in a small market like San Antonio for his career:
There is a reason that Tim Duncan continues to play for the San Antonio Spurs. There is a reason that Dirk Nowitski continues to play for the Dallas Mavericks. There is a reason that Kevin Durant continues to play for the Oklahoma City Thunder. These franchises (which are in relatively small cities compared to New York and Los Angeles) have made a commitment to ensuring that their stars are surrounded by a quality role players that can help the team reach of championship-contending status.
• The Austin Toros lost today to the Idaho Stampede. Check out the recap at Toros Nation.
• Here is how you can enter for a chance to score some free tickets to the upcoming Spurs-Portland Trail Blazers game on March 28 at the AT&T Center:
1. Follow @TiqFeed_Texas on Twitter.
2. Once you’ve followed, send out a tweet that says “Follow @TiqFeed_Texas” and include your favorite live Texas sports moment, followed by the hashtag #LoneStarTiqs for chance to win free Spurs tickets.
3. One person who tweets that out will win a free pair of tickets to the March 28 Spurs-Trail Blazers game.