According to Chris Broussard of ESPN, Warrior’s guard Stephen Jackson might be close to getting his wish and be traded out of Golden State to . . . the Spurs. Please note other teams such as the Cavaliers, Nuggets, Hornets and Clippers are rumored to be in the mix for his services. However in exchange, Manu Ginobili, who is in the last year of his contract, would be the player Golden State would likely want in return.
It is no secret Jackson does have on-the-court issues especially in recent months with the Warriors. But when he was with the Spurs in 2003, he was on his best behavior and didn’t rock the boat, especially with a team made up of veteran guys like Robinson, Duncan, Ferry, Willis, and Kerr when they marched to capture the 2003 NBA title versus the Nets. Jackson was clutch and important during the 2003 championship run.
After the 2003 season, the Spurs did offer Jackson a generous contract offer, 10 million for three years, but he and his agent balked and ended up taking a lower contract from the Hawks, 2.1 million for two years.
If this rumor is true, should the Spurs part with Manu Ginobili? Let’s weigh the pros and cons.
- Jackson is younger than Manu
- Jackson is healthier and hasn’t been hampered with chronic ankle injuries like Manu
- Jackson might be the best player we can get in return for an older, worn down player like Manu
- Is clutch, and knows the Spurs system
- Surrounding Jackson with vets like Duncan, McDyess, Parker, Ratliff and RJ will keep his attitude in check
- Manu is an integral part of the Spurs system and as we all know, the Spurs go as he goes
- Loyalty to Manu. Manu has been clutch, has given his all for the Spurs en route to helping them get three of their four titles
- Jackson’s current contract is currently $7.65 million. Will the Spurs be willing to take on another large contract, already knowing they are over the cap?
- Manu proved his worth in the Hornets game, still showing he can get to the rim, hit the three, and be a spark plug off the bench
- Manu would be sent to an inter-conference team
What are your thoughts? Leave us a comment on your thoughts on if you would like to see this rumored trade happen and vote in the poll as well.